For the time being, we have paused Camp Jordan. We are working with the medical team that helps to run this special program to determine when it will be prudent to relaunch Camp Jordan. We will update this page as more information is made available.
A Camp for Youth in Grades 6-12 with Diabetes
Campers enjoy traditional camp activities in our small group model that allows participants the opportunity to forge friendships with others who understand the challenges of having diabetes. Campers are supervised by caring counselors. Experienced medical professionals are on site 24/7.
Camp Jordan Goals
In addition to having a great time and making friends, we hope to help campers grow in a variety of ways, including:
- Diet planning
- Home glucose monitoring
- Understanding of hypoglycemia
- Adjustments for sports and other activities
- Confidence for all to give their own injections
- Promoting friendship and problem-sharing
- Helping campers deal with their feelings about diabetes
Sample Camp Activities
A fun-filled daily schedule may include:
Optional Worship and Spiritual Development
- We do not make major changes in the treatment regimen prescribed by the camper’s physician. We do make short-term insulin adjustments which will avoid hypoglycemia and extreme elevations of blood sugar while at camp
- Since camp activities often result in changes in exercise and dietary patterns, it is very likely that readjustment of treatment regimen will need to be carried out by the family and local physician when the camper goes home. A summary of the camper’s medical course at camp will be sent to the camper’s physician.
- Unlike previous sessions, campers need to bring their own diabetic supplies this year! Insulin, syringes, and testing equipment will need to be brought with the camper. If a camper takes additional medication, he/she must bring an adequate supply.
- In the unlikely event of severe illness, campers will be transported to VCU Medical Center in Richmond.
- Please Note: We are not able to properly serve campers with severe emotional, psychological, or behavioral problems.
Camp Jorden was founded in 1966 by the West Central Richmond Optimist’s Club. Prior to coming to Camp Hanover in 2017, Camp Jordan was held at Makemie Woods Camp and Conference Center in New Kent.
Camp Hanover is a ministry partner of the Presbytery of the James and has been offering meaningful summer camp programs since 1957 at our site in Mechanicsville. Camp Hanover is accredited by the American Camp Association, nationally, only 1 camp in 5 can say that. And get this… we have maintained our accreditation consistently for over 50 years. To learn more about why accreditation is an important consideration when choosing a summer camp and how accreditation standards exceed state licensing regulations visit the American Camp Association website.